George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2005 elantra 2.0 timing belt an marks perfect. Compression

Customer Question

2005 elantra 2.0 timing belt an marks perfect. Compression check good. New wires coil plugs. Bad idle check engine light. Fist code P0016 camshft position sensor A. Second code P0300 misfire #1. Any ideas ?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do you know what the engine vacuum is at when the engine i at idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Haven't checked yet. What hg am I looking for, and on wich port ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! You can check engine vacuum using a hand held vacuum gauge connected to any vacuum hose or line going to the intake manifold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that. This is a scam. If I were talking to a certified master tech for Hyundai , he would tell me off the top of his head how many inches of vacuum (hg) I should have on the gauge and at what idle speed.Do not charge me another penny.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You should have approximately 20 inches of vacuum at Idle. I didn't tell you because you never asked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what does the timing set at? How many degrees befor top ded center and are we looking for a vacuum leak ? If so will that cause the p0016 code and misfire code p0301?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking ignition or valve timing? I have having you check engine vacuum. Not checking for vacuum leaks.. although that should be done as well and confirmed that there are none.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Basically, anything that can cause the the camshaft and crankshaft to be out of sync will set this code. And yes, it can cause the engine to misfire resulting it misfire codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amedee , your answer was vague and not technical enough. Afeter extensive research I found a tech bulletin from Hyundia explaining the code P0016 can be caused by the oil control valve. After researching the valve I found a tiny metal shaving causing the valve to malfunction. This will create several codes. It was also followed by code P2626 a faulty oxygen sensor. Can't believe you haven't experienced this situation after 15 years as a master tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasted $28.00 dollars I could have spent on parts.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Sorry for the delay! I am aware of this TSB. This problem is causing the valve timing issue which is setting your code. The valve timing issue is what I was explaining. Does that make sense?