Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 year ASE Master tech
2947720

I have a continuous grinding in the rear of my 2007 Hyundai

Customer Question

I have a continuous grinding in the rear of my 2007 Hyundai Veracruz. Sounds like a brake issue but is continuous.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

That can very well be a bad wheel bearing. One way to see is to jack up the vehicle and listen to the back of the hubs with a stethoscope, (or a long pipe) while the wheels are being turned.

.

Another is to see if the sound changes when you turn into and away from it. A bad bearing on the right side, (front) will be louder when turned to the left, (while moving) and subside when turned to the right. Visa versa for the left side.

.

.

If so then the rear hub assembly, (with bearings in it) would have to be replaced.

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have recently replaced both rear hub assemblies. It definitely sounds like grinding brakes but as I said it is continuous.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. Is it the AWD? Also, are the brakes good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AWD. Brakes seem fine. When I move and hit the brakes there is no difference in the grinding noise.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. I have seen a couple that would drop the retainer for the parking brake shoe, (normally just on one side). Hold down spring. (see diagram)

.

You will have to take the rotor(s) off though to be sure.

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the instructions for getting the rotors off and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address if you like.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks