Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 year ASE Master tech
2947720

2011 Sonata Starter turns but only 2-3 cranks at a time and

Customer Question

2011 Sonata
Starter turns but only 2-3 cranks at a time and is still starting after a few tries.
Battery no issue - perhaps a broken starter lever?
It seems to be a known issue 9 - any recall or what needs to be done and how much will it cost ?
Urs - Mississauga ON Canada
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Does the starter seem to 'slip out' after it turns for a bit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes the normal sound for a second only then not engaging any longer. After a dozen tries it usually manages to crank and get motor running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it never cranks more than a long second even when it manages to start
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks.

.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern. The starter drive on them slips out.

.

Let me post a copy of the bulletin at the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ihd9tm64nihd1x/STARTER%20MOTOR.pdf?dl=0

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Did you get that?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as is allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. You need a price with labor estimate? What part of Canada are you in?