George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2010 Hyundai genesis coupe 2.0t premium 130xxx miles Got in

Customer Question

2010 Hyundai genesis coupe 2.0t premium 130xxx miles
Got in car car started normally, once to destination went inside store came back out within 10 minutes, now car wouldnt start or even turn on acc mode or anything. wouldnt unlock or lock even with key fob in fob dock/slot still nothing happened no lights on dash turned on but all dome lights work. press brake lights come on. could this mean my immobilizer is bad? after leaving car overnight at parking lot first thing in morning went to try car unlocked when pressed on key and started first try. but once gotten home did same thing and now still wont start and has been one full day.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what i read online some say something wrong with immobilizer but when talked to local hyundai they said they would need to diagnose the problem firs tbut im not paying$150 for them to diagnose and the problem doesnt occur with the car in their possession and giving me my car back with nothing done to the car
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you should check is the battery voltage and battery connections. If you didn't even get the headlights to come on then the problem is most likely not the immobilizer. The immobilizer just keeps the vehicle from starting, but it still allows you to turn on all of the electrical accessories.

Has the battery been replaced recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery has been replaced and alternator has been replaced in august.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check battery Voltage voltage was 12.8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was going to attempt voltage drop test on starter and alternator but unfortunately can not get car to start
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

To clarify, when it won't start it acts like there is no voltage at all right?

Can you test for resistance from the battery posts to the terminal clamps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am at work right now car is at home.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, what do you mean "is that it?"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok to clarify.
Walking up to car, i press the unlock on key fob nothing happens, i then unlock door with actual key the lights flash twice as it would if i unlocked car by pressing on key fob, sit in car insert key fob into fob dock car beeps sensing the key is in the dock. hold clutch down press the push start button and nothing happens. The interior lights work even though car will not start. nothing lights up on dash
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also changed the key fob batteries yesterday thinking that may have been my problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is an intermediate problem as too car will start once a day but once turned off does the same thing and wont start or turn on to accessory mode.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok. I thought you mean that you have no power at all to the vehicle. That was throwing me off.

You may actually have an immobilizer issue. If you just changed the key fob batteries and nothing changed then the transducer (the part that picks up the signal from the key) might be at fault. The transceiver in the key might be the problem as well, but usually a new battery will make them come back to life for at least a little while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for confusion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will you be available for a live call around 530 pm Eastern Time?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I'll be in the middle of a meeting here at work (my real job).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok not a problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will not be able to call until im at home after work 530 eastern time or any time after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it safe to assume that the problem is the immobilizer unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see that my card is charged already but i never got a definite answer
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I don't close the question until you get the answer you want. I'm not sure how the billing works.

I am not directly employed by just answer, as experts we are contractors and only get paid when the customer accepts our answer.

If we aren't able to arrive at an answer that you accept I can opt out and see if another expert can help, or you can request a refund from customer service.