George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I have a question about my 2004 santa fe. my dog knocked

Customer Question

i have a question about my 2004 santa fe. my dog knocked over my coffee this morning and it spilled on the gear shifter. Since then, the car will not shift out of 1st gear. The display on the dash shows both D and 1 when in drive/automatic. When I push the shifter to manual mode, it will not shift up to 2nd.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

There is a magnetic switch inside the shift lever that sends a signal to the dash to indicate the gear and to the transmission to indicate shift position. It's pretty likely that the switch was damaged by the coffee. Here is a diagram that shows the switch:

It's listed as part #4.

Do you plan to attempt to fix it yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a test to know for sure that that is the problem?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If you have a good scan tool you can try to scan for trouble codes. You could also see what the input from the shift selector is saying on the scan tool.

I think the best bet will be to let it dry for a bit and see if the module starts acting normal again. The liquid in the switch could be shorting pins and causing the malfunction and when it dries it could start working correctly.