internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

2013 HYUNDAI VELOSTER TURBO. DRIVING THE LAST HOUR AT 65

Customer Question

2013 HYUNDAI VELOSTER TURBO. DRIVING THE LAST HOUR AT 65 MPH, CAME TO A STOP LIGHT, ENGINE SHUT DOWN AND WILL NOT START. NO NOISE NO OIL. CAR TOWED TO DEALER. ENGINE CONNECTING ROD STICKING OUT OF BLOCK #4. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS FAILURE?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Hyundai tech.
1.The timing chain might have broke and threw off the timing and create the piston and valve collision.

2. The connecting rod bearing might have been spun or seize and cause the connecting rod cap to broke. Therefore sticking out of the block.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further question. Please rate me positive for the prompt service, Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that these can cause this failure but what is causing this failure in Hyundai? What failures has Hyundai had that cause this failure. After removing the oil pan there is part of a bearing half in the pan that has been spun and a bolt that has broken off due to fatigue. Please give me an answer that will be of assistance to me in getting this car fixed under warranty
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The piston rod cap might have not been tighten under specification therefore it broke off under stress.

Hyundai will cover this problem under warranty without any issue.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The problem started in the factory assembly line.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAD A G-FORCE PERFORMANCE CHIP ON THE CAR WHEN THEY INSPECTED FOR THE FAILURE. ALL DOCUMENTATION ON THESE CHIPS STATE CLEARLY THEY DO NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. WHAT SAY YOU AS TO HOW I HANDLE THIS AND THE WARRANTY? THEY DO HELP MPG. THANK YOU FOR WORKING WITH ME ON THIS .
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

I doubt the G-Force chip can destroy your engine. I don't think so. Did they explain how can this chip broke your engine?

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Did you over rev the engine?