Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2004 hyundai santa fe. Was driving, and the engine

Customer Question

I have a 2004 hyundai santa fe. Was driving, and the engine shut off. now the car won't start. I plugged the computer and it's giving me a P0340 code. Says it's the camshaft sensor. In the last couple of weeks, car would run a bit rough/stutter at stop
lights. Is it the sensor? Shouls I replace it? Where is the sensor located? I can't seem to find it on the Engine. Thanks in advance for your help. Joe
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on before it shut down? Do you have the 4 cylinder or V6 engine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son said the light was not on before. however, after it turned off, the light was on as well as the battery light. He says these never came on before when he would turn the ignition switch prior to turning it on.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you have the V6 or 4 cylinder engine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, sorry, it's the 4 cylinder.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem. This code does usually mean the camshaft position sensor has failed. When the camshaft position sensor fails it will usually start/stall. I would still start by replacing the Sensor. The second two likely causes would be crankshaft position sensor or jumped timing. Here is a picture to help with replacing, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clzv0gfyguwvaad/cmps.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan. I just replaced the sensor with a brand new one and the car still won't start. Now what?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Verify sensor has good power/ground, if so then next step is checking timing. Let me know if you would like instructions for timing belt, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I verify that?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to pull off the plastic timing cover and see if all of the timing marks line up. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to cry now. I took the cover off and the belt there is torn.
Do I simply put in a new belt?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Replace belt and realign marks and you should be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like I have to take the wheel off to replace the belt and it's a big job requiring many tools.But Another mechanic just told me that since the belt broke while driving that it most likely bent the Pistons and it's not worth fixing. Is that possible? My son only drove it down the street.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now sure if you received my last response. I lost connection.
But looks like replacing the belt is a big job. I have to jack up the car and use heavy tools...
However, another mechanic told me that since it broke while driving, that it's not worth fixing since it most likely bent the pistons... is this true? My son only drove it down the street.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Since there are no engine noises I think you are probably ok and no damage was done. It is a 3 hour job book rate to replace so not too bad. let me know if you have more questions, thanks.