eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified, imac, macs, bridhestone certified
6149662

My son has a 2005 Hyundai accent automatic trans with 98K

Customer Question

hello.. my son has a 2005 Hyundai accent automatic trans with 98K miles. he has what sounds like the wheel of fortune wheel spinning only at a coasting motion. when accelerating its gone but come back while coasting.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

That sound could be so many things. Are you able to tell if it's coming from the front or back?

Can you raise the vehicle and spin each wheel by hand until you find the wheel it's coming from?

With the wheels off the ground, try wobbling each wheel and see if any of them are loose, even a little which could indicate a bad bearing

Look at the brake rotors and make sure nothing is stuck in there, no loose brake pads, etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bearing are good. No wobble in the wheels. I'm a ASE Tech also but not familiar with Hyundai transmission. Noise is definitely in front. I have the vehicle up on jack stands. Give the gas and i could feel a rattling/clicking sound when my hand is on the trans pan

Ok. If it's in the transmission then ill opt out in hopes that somebody familiar with that particular transmission will be able to offer more in depth assistance.

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

If the noise is internal of the trans it will require tear down to find point of failure, likely a differential failure but tear dwon would be required, generally replacement is more cost effective

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the transmission power the differential by a chain?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

no it does not...Hyundai black boxes all trans failures. They don't rebuild in the shop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean black boxes all their trans failures
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

they R&R only all units are shipped back to Hyundai and new or remans installed At the dealer we call it black box because the units are shipped in the black totes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this couldn't be repaired at a trans shop? Just a dealer?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

unless they have aftermarket parts they will likely install a used or reman unit,

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

a new unit from Hyundai is like $1629 by the time you pay teardown and rebuild its not cost effective

(###) ###-#### $1629.03
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you