Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata, brake lights 't work, I have

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata, brake lights don't work, I have replaced the bulbs, and the brake light switch on the brake pedal, still no results
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Are all brake lights non operational, including the lower 2 and the upper one? Can you get the car out of park while running?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are all non operational, it drives just fine , no problem with getting the car out of park, you mention two lower brake lights what do you mean, the one in the back window and the two upper ones is the only ones I see in the book . I replaced the lights in the two upper ones which accourding to the book are the two inside ones , meaning closes to the opening. I have replaced the brake switch twice as the mechanic says I have to have the one with cruise control, but it made no difference.

At the stop lamp switch back probe the connector so it can be tested while plugged in. Does the light blue wire have power when you press the brake pedal?

If there is power then its a wire break in the harness we need to find. There is a connector under the left front seat where this wire breaks up to the lower 2 lamps and the upper one, next we need to check there for power with the brake applied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YOU WANT ME TO TEST IT AT THE BRAKE LIGHT IN THE TRUNK? RED PROBE ON BLUE WIRE, BLACK ON BLACK?

No, at the stop lamp switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
black on black, red on blue wire then press on brake pedal, can I remove it from the brake peddle for ease of getting the probes into the back of the plug, then just depress the plunger

Black on the chassis so its grounded will be fine, like the brake pedal mount or seat bolt. There are no ground wires to the stop lamp switch. If your sure you can fully depress the plunger then yes you can do it while off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no voltage from the blue wire on back the probe to chasis ground while depressing switch, its the 2nd switch I put in , thinking the first one was bad, now what else I did was plug into the blue and black tabs on that wiring harness without the switch plugged in and get 10 volts

Does the orange wire from fuse 9 have power all the time regardless of the brake pedal up or down or even plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.7 volts on orange
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is their a way to ohm out the switch to see if its faulty, but 2 switches kind of hard to believe they would both be bad out of the box

Orange is the power, when you press the brakes, the orange wire internal in the switch powers the light blue wire. You can ohm test across these 2 pins, you should get a closed circuit with the pedal pressed. You can unplug the switch and jump a paper clip across these wires and the brake lights should work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO on jumpering the orange to blue wire, another question as I replaced all the bulbs, now the 1157 which are the brake lights should go on the upper two inside sockets correct , farthest from the sides that is, reason I ask is the sockets look like they have two prongs at the bottom, but the slots look like they are for bulbs with the little nubs on the bottom of the light for each one, and I notice the 1157s have on nob up higher on the base of the bulb, and the other socket on the other side has the one prong in the socket but looks like it has the one higher slot and one lower slot in the connector, which are the 1156's. I was sure I swapped them right, just checking

I cannot tell by bulb number, that information is not in the repair guides. There should be 2 bulbs in each rear combination lamp. The turn signal bulb has a power and ground pin. The park lamp and stop lamp bulbs are the same and have 3 prongs. park lamp power, stop lamp power, and ground. Would a wire diagram help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Use the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/05sonata.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YEAP all bulbs hooked up right, just still not working,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its gotta be something with the light blue wire , as I do have the tail lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS, STILL NOT SOLVED

We are back to the testing at the brake switch where you tested the light blue wire, this wire must have power when the brakes are being applied.