Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I am trying to find code P0102 on a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to find code P0102 on a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L engine. I have finished putting everything back together after completing the timing belt repair (all marks are aligned and I rotated the crankshaft by hand more than twice to confirm
accuracy of timing marks alignment).. but that is easy. Now, the engine dies literally in one second after it starts.I have used an OBD II scanner to get codes and it is telling me it is P0102. I need help finding what is causing the code P0102. Hopefully,
it will not take long.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the code refers to the MAF or mass airflow sensor, I cant say the actual cause of the code being set, You could have a poor connection, not connected, shorted wire or bad MAF sensor, Here is a link to the picture of it and the list of possibles. be sure it is plugged in, if so, really check the connection good at the connector

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have already (some days ago) tested the MAF sensor and connector. the wires have 11. 60+ volts and there is another wither that returns 4.5 Volts almost 5 volts.. Then, I tested the failure ignition sensor and I believe the voltage was OK too (since this was several days ago, I don't remember the voltage). If you can please tell me the voltage values I should have in each respective sensor and connector, I can test them again. I also tested ALL THE FUSES (both underhood and inside the car on the driver's side), and they were all OK. What would be next???
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, this is all new information, I thought you needed to possibles and what the code means, I can in no way say or point to the problem, All testing must be done, here is the link for you to run the tests and help conclude as to what is setting the code. off the cuff it seem you haeve correct voltages. may have a bad MAF

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I accurately determine if the MAF is bad??? Also, when you talk about MAF, are you referring to the cilindrical plastic tube that connects the air filter to the engine? Please, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Important, the vehicle is only 60 thousand miles, and before completing the tiiming bet repair it was running perfectly. Can the MAF go bad just like that?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

not usually but anything can happen, the voltages and tests I sent, if a step does not pass then it is in fact bad, I wish I had more information but do not, I am not there nor doing the tests

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will run the tests again, and will see what happens. I have a brand new MAF sensor that I bought at autozone. Please you can see the picture below:
http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/mass-air-flow-sensor/cardone-reman-mass-air-flow-sensor/hyundai/santa-fe-2wd/2006/6-cylinders-e-3-5l-mfi-dohc/197562_0_0/HOWEVER, my hyundai has a MAF sensor that looks a bit different on the sensor filaments. Please see the one my car has installed below:http://www.autozone.com/engine-management/mass-air-flow-sensor/duralast-new-mass-air-flow-sensor/hyundai/santa-fe-2wd/2006/6-cylinders-e-3-5l-mfi-dohc/266842_0_12219/The autozone rep explained that these two MAF sensors are interchangeable. I tried installing the one pictures on the first weblink, but the grooves of the connector do not exactly atch the female MAF connector, and I did not want to push it too hard to connect it.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out, New information keeps coming in, I did my best to help but sure another expert can come along shortly to continue helping you.Hard to help when all the information is not supplied from the beginning, I hope this makes sense. Please save the rating for the expert that can help, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying. Please, understand that if I were an expert, I would not be on this site. Also, please, understand that my knowledge is limited, and I provide information best if the expert mechanic requests it.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I cant see what the other expert posted, so here is full testing, including how to test the MAF sensor