sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2005 Hyundai santa fe. the speedometer goes 20 mph slower

Customer Question

2005 Hyundai santa fe. the speedometer goes 20 mph slower than my actual speed. Ive noticed the odometer is also a bit slower now. My usual drive to work is 18 miles but now ODO is only registering 14 miles. Everything else works including cruise control. No lights are on. Where could the problem be?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If this didn't start after replacing a control module or something of that nature then the first thing I would suspect is incorrect tire size. If the tires on it are a larger circumference than original it will cause what you're having.

What is the brand and size of all four tires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its not the tires. I have had the same tires before this started. Before this started the needle on the speedo started shaking and then it just got slower. The odo isnt picking up on the miles i travel accurately either. Is it the speed sensor or the cluster?

Can you please supply the tire size taken from the side of at least one of them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
225/70-16
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uniroyal

Did the problem start after a repair, jump start, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Pls read my earlier response about how it started

I did see that the speedometer needle acted erratically when the issue first started but there isn't mention of whether or not the problem started after any work was done.

Vehicle speed is calculated by watching the vehicle speed sensor and right front wheel speed sensor. It will take a scan tool to diagnose the issue but if you don't see the ABS or engine light on then you can be relatively sure there isn't a speed sensor issue. If one of the signals was missing or the two didn't agree then a fault code would be set. It's rare, but if there are no codes in the ECM or ABS module then odds are the issue is an internal failure in the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the scan, no fault codes seen. Do u think i should just try switching out the cluster then?

An actual scan tool would be necessary, a scan tool would be used to monitor data and do a calibration test of the cluster.

You can try having it replaced but it would be best to have the problem diagnosed due to the cost of a replacement cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a faulty cluster also cause the odo to register fewer miles?

Yes.