K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

When I drive my car it sounds like I am dragging cardboard

Customer Question

When I drive my car it sounds like I am dragging cardboard or something is caught under it. I have looked under it several times, checked all fluids. The compressor seems to be working ok, very cold air coming out. The engine light is not showing overheating
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only makes the sound when in motion, so far. Just started last night. When I would stop to look under the car, and then drive it again, it might not do it again for some miles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seemed to sound worse toward the end of my trip, about 75 miles total. Was supposed to drive farther last night. Had to return to where I had been staying and call in to work today. :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get an appt at Hyundai service center, did not want to get ripped off, in case they aren't as good as mine back home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I stopped for the night, was sounding like gravel or cement chunks were under my car, kind of in the front part
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the gravel/grinding type sound while moving is usually a good indicator of a bad wheel bearing. If you are driving down the road and make a lane change does the noise change while the steering wheel is turned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still sounds about the same on that part. I ended up going to a Hyundai service center today. They put it on the rack and saw that it was the gravel cover plate. It was loose in the front, so would drag with the car going fast only. When the car stopped, would go back in place.