Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a hyundia 2005 xg350 and have replaced the generator

Customer Question

I have a hyundia 2005 xg350 and have replaced the generator and put on a new battery and the battery still runs down like the generator is not putting out what could be the problem?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

There is most likely a short in the communication bus not allowing the alternator to charge. I had a similar case where a broken wire in the driver's side A pillar was causing this condition.

Here are some steps to narrow it down:

1. Check for voltage on the Gray sensing wire on the alternator connector with the key off.

2. If there is voltage on the Gray sensing wire with the key off, remove fuse 28 and see if the voltage is gone.

3. If the voltage is gone with the fuse removed, unplug connector I18-2 at the instrument cluster and verify that there is no voltage at either terminal of fuse 28.

4. If the power at the fuse is on the instrument cluster side of the connector, check if there is voltage at terminal 12 or terminal 6 of connector I18-2.

5. If removing fuse 28 does not eliminate the voltage at the Gray sensing wire, unplug the Electronic Time and Alarm Control Module (ETACM) and see if the voltage is gone at the Gray sensing wire.

6. Unplug connector JM09 at the engine fuse box (that would eliminate the ETACM, pre-excitation resistor, cluster, and ignition switch)and see if the voltage is gone at the Gray sensing wire.

7. If the voltage is still on the Gray wire, unplug JC01 at the engine fuse box and see if the voltage is gone at the Gray sensing wire.

8. If the voltage goes away at the Gray sensing wire with JC01 unplugged, cut the Gray wire at JC01, terminal C12 and cut the Gray wire at JM09, terminal E11 and splice the wires together to temporarily bypass the engine compartment fuse box.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to see if you needed any additional information. If I have been of some assistance I would appreciate a positive rating.