eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified, imac, macs, bridhestone certified
6149662

After I filled up and replaced the gas cap the malfunction

Customer Question

After I filled up and replaced the gas cap the malfunction symbol appeared. There is a message on the cap to open it slowly. Do I have anything to worry about?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

It can be as simple as a failed gas cap, Is it dangerous to drive The answer is NO.. But I would suggest having it scanned for trouble codes and the malfunction repaired..Hyundai has a great warranty so hopefully you are covered..the engine light check fuel cap light and other trouble lights comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons. The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes. Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes.

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you had it scanned for codes? I hope my info helped ..I Hope you can rate my service excellent