K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a 2006 hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L. I am doing the timing

Customer Question

I have a 2006 hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L. I am doing the timing belt and the timing marks come out of alignment. I know how to do the job, except that with this specific make and model the timing marks are very hard to keep in alignment. Is there any specialty
tool to keep all four cam sprockets in alignment right before installing the timing belt? Please, know that I have already consulted one mechanic and yes he tried to be useful, but I have some knowledge of the procedure and my question is very specific. Please,
be a Hyundai expert.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There isn't a special tool to keep the camshafts in alignment on this model here according to the specific instructions.I know on some models if the camshaft sprockets have a slot or hole in them you can use a dowel pin or even drill bit to hold them in place but once you have the marks lined up correctly they should hold on their own.Below is a diagram of the timing marks.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Pete:
Thank you, ***** ***** believe I already have that knowledge. I own the repair manual by Hyundai. I will not rate you poorly, but I will, however, close the question.

I apologize this didn't help here.If you would like I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can help further.Let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please, if you don't mind opening the question, I will really appreciate it. Thank you and have a nice day.

No problem.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'll post a link below to the cam locking tools. one is marked left and the other right for each bank.

http://www.etoolcart.com/Kent-Moore-camshaft-locking-tool.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the very useful tip. Now, question, each tool goes respectively between the two sprockets of both the left and right camshafts, correct? No, it may be a bit confusing to know which bank is left and which one is right. Could you please clarify this? Also, would you like me to rate each of your answers, or would you like me to rate your service at the end?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

That's correct, when facing the front of the engine (side with belts) Left bank is on your left hand side and right is right hand side.

You only need to rate me once. Follow ups concerning this are free.

It's my pleasure to help! I know first hand how frustrating this job can be.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was just wanting to see how things went for you.