K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I need a Hyundai expert. I am changing the timing belt. Two

Customer Question

I need a Hyundai expert. I am changing the timing belt. Two problems only:
1. The timing marks do not stay aligned to the backplate of the camshaft. I have used two different autozone-purchased locking tools. What special tool or procedure should I buy/use?
2. The crankshaft position sensor wire has a little square bracket. I am assuming it is to be bolted on to some location. Please, could you let me know the exact routing and bolting location of the crankshaft javascript:__doPostBack('ctrlTabbedQBox$ctl00','')position sensor wire?
Please, be a Hyundai expert.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

there is no special tool for this one,,i will give you the procedure.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp452lzpe86nspp/0915-santefe-%20%20tIMING%20BELT.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/sp452lzpe86nspp/0915-santefe-%20%20tIMING%20BELT.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I am sorry, but I am not going to rate your answer poorly. However, I already have the PDF document you set me, and the timing marks continue to be misaligned every time I release the hydraulic tensioner. I tried continuously for an entire day yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done timing belts before successfully, but these four cam sprockets don't stay well-aligned.

hi

yes,these are hateful,you will need to turn one cam just a few degrees to get the belt to tooth up then turn it back,,it pays to have an extra set of hands when doing these four cams

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I did not understand your last message. The cam should be turned clockwise or counterclockwise? Also, I would do it to the cam sprocket that is closest to the firewall since the tensioner will remove the belt slack. Now, the question is how many teeth I need to out of time mark alignment I should rotate the cam?

sorry i missed you..start with the cams at the front,keeping the belt tight on the right side,,you may need to rock the cam gears back and forth to get them to align

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already accomplished that yesterday about four times, but when I release the tensioner and the belt tightens, most cam sprockets come out of alignment. Hence my question about specialty tools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is why although the document you sent me is amazingly accurate since I have it and since I have disassembled the front end of the engine, I need more detailed piece of advice.

the reason the tensioner pulls it out of time,is because you are not keeping the belt tight

when installing the belt,you got to keep all play out of the right side[facing the front of engine] if not,when you tighten the tensioner,it will turn everything backwards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please, understand that I have had the belt tight with no slack on the right side and the left side. That means there is only slack between the sprocket closest to the firewall and the tensioner. That is why I visited justanswer.com

ok,,if it is tight on the idler side,then get it tight between the first to cams,then the next to cams,,you want all play on the tensioner side

all play out,,it cant come out of time

i do agree,these four cams are hateful

but,.

you can have no play from the crank to the idler side,or through all 4 cams,,,you got to keep all play on the tensionor side

if you gt it aligned as the pictures i have sent,it will be right and cant be wrong

thanks

to keep the play out.you will need to put the belt on one cam at a time

turning each cam back and forth to keep it tight so they have no play

you even must keep the belt tight around the water pump then to the other two cams,,again by moving one cam back and forth a little to get it aligned and tight.

if not,the tensionor will pull it out of time every time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please, know that I have had the belt very well tightened. I have kept the belt tight with plastic pliers that have held the belt tight and the marks aligned. Some Honda expert asked me to seek for Hyundai expert advice and probably buy a different cam-locking tool. Maybe I am using the wrong locking tool in each firewall-side sprocket. They are plastic and don't seem to hold the sprocket firmly in place. Would you mind if I ask another justanswer mechanic, please?

stand by

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Thank you. I guess I need to leave this chat without leaving a bad rating. I also think that I still need my problem/question answered by a different mechanic.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, there is a special cam locking tool for this engine. It's made by Kent moore and is somewhat hard to find. I'll post a link below. One is marked left and the other right

http://www.etoolcart.com/Kent-Moore-camshaft-locking-tool.aspx

With that said I have done these without that tool by keeping the belt tight and using binder clips like you would get at an office supply to hold the belt tight on each cam while routing the belt. However, when it comes to the rear bank it's much easier with the special tool.

The tool is definetely what you need the belt on the 3.5 is a pain even for seasoned techs.

Let me know if I can help you further. If not, please rate my service. Thanks!

l