Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2010 Veracruz ltd. purchased new in 2011, earlier

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Veracruz ltd. purchased new in 2011 , earlier this summer we hit the 100, 000 km mark so we purchased the 3 year extended warranty . Anyway our problems all started when dealer told us we needed to change the fuel filter to which I agreed to at the time . Then shortly after that we started to get a hard start and rough idle , so after several complaints the dealer finally brought it in and tested and ended up replacing the whole fuel pump . Then after this we seemed to be plagued with electrical issues , a head light and a running light burned out about same time , then back up sensors went faulty the first repair on this did no god they had to replace sensor second time , at the same time fuse blew that controls front ac adapter and cigarette lighter that we use for phone charging only . also at the same time they replaced the proximity buttons on both front doors as well as two out of the three interior light assemblies . Now the third light over the console is not working properly and the telescopic steering only works about 50% of the time . I also asked the dealer about a chime i heard for the first time when vehicle turned off drivers door open and hatch open and key in my pocket . I only heard this once sounds the same as when you unhook seat belt when vehicle running .
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Wow, that's a lot of frustration on a fairly new vehicle.

I'm not sure I can tackle every item at once, but let's start from the beginning: Why did they recommend you change the fuel filter? That vehicle is not equipped with an easily serviceable fuel filter. It is part of the fuel pump assembly and Hyundai does not list a mileage recommendation for it's replacement. In other words, it should not have been replaced unless the fuel pump was going out.

The fuel pump went out after changing the fuel filter? I would assume that their reasoning for changing the fuel filter would be to make the fuel pump last longer (again I would never change the fuel filter and not the whole pump on this model). If the pump went out right after the filter, I would assume it was because the filter and pump were installed incorrectly the first time.

The headlight and running light could just be a normal wear and tear type item.

Reverse sensors going bad is very uncommon.

The fuse blowing indicates a short, maybe caused by the repairs to other electrical systems. And the door buttons going bad? That is pretty rare also.

The chime, the map light, etc...it all sounds like someone made some major mistakes while fixing the electrical problems. I would assume it's a break in the wiring in the door jam or a contact in the ignition switch.