Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

Mate, I got a Hyundai iMax 2013. 53000km on the odometer.

Customer Question

Mate, I got a Hyundai iMax 2013. 53000km on the odometer. Oil, engine coolant etc. all normal levels. Never had any issues. Like a week ago I started to recognise a quiet rattling noise coming from the engine. It still accellerates etc as is should no worries at all. However now it is so loud that I am getting very worried about it. Obviously I need to go to see a mechanic and it might be hard for you to say what potentially is the cause of this noise. But have you got any idea?
Cheers Patrick
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

Don't think your issue is bad, as there are a lot of reports for this engine rattle due to the exhaust heat shield

on the 2.4L engine .

You are still under warranty so that should take care if its anything else ,but as said the 2.4 have been reported that the heat shield gets loose and rattles .

Then if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hm ok but this metallic rattle comes right from the engine from somewhere. I had a look at the exhaust and it seems to be ok. However I couldn't check the exhaust where it comes from the engine.
Biggest concern obviously is - what kind of engine failure could provoke this noise etc
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

This all depends on the rattle type noise does it come and go with engine rev's .

Only on start up ,

Gets louder with engine speed .

Can the rattle be influenced with engine speed .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise starts right at start up and gets louder when pushing down the accelerator and engine speed yes
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a possible timing chain rattle , also a known issue if oil level is low (yours is okay you checked it)

Low oil pressure, chain guard/guide or the tensioner has failed ,

The other possibility's is the valve train but only if someone had the head removed and had the valve buckets out and replaced them in the wrong order.

So have this checked could be the timing chain .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the oil again and it came back with below low. Topped it back up to normal levels. Bit worried though to let the engine run again?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay if oil was low this will cause the chain to rattle now you have it at the normal level start the engine and let idle for a few minutes, if the level was the problem the rattling should stop .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it keeps making the same noise. I'm not 100% sure but after topping it up (and I haven't spilled anything over or so) it smells a bit like as if something had burned. But no smoke nothing
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Be a good idea to have someone be at the car to define the noise and smell problem.

You may have a oil leak and this is what you can smell.

Ones the engine is at engine temp hold the rev's at 2000 rpm for a few minutes

this will bleed the oil at the chain tensioner (if this is the issue )

Otherwise as said have someone( mechanic) take a look ...

Rgds Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

Just checking in if you still need assistance .

Rgds Greg