Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Recently bought 2014 sonata auto shift and gets stuck

Customer Question

recently bought 2014 sonata auto shift and gets stuck sometimes in park. Need to dri ve it for about 2 weeks before I can taake in to have dealer look at. Dangerous to drive??
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

How do you get it out of park when it's stuck in park?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled out the little plug, and pushed down in the hole per instructions and in most cases shift knob will then move OK.
I didnt realize until last night that the lever on the knob had to be depressed.However, one one occasion, I could not get it to move no matter what I did but----at that occasion the key was also stuck in a fixed position in the ignition slot. That time, I finally read the book and it said to gently pull the steering wheel both to the R and then the L, which I did, and then the key moved back and forth in the ignition slot OK and then also---the shift knob would move from the "frozen" park position.Summary is that I seem to have it all working OK now, but am still concerned about safety, since book shows (on page 5/18) that I should do the screwdriver routine until it unfreezes but I am concerned because the next item shows:
"4. Have your vehicle inspected by an authorized Hyundai Dealer immediately."I will do this--- but cant for about a week or so--- and am concerned if I should drive it in the mean time?? What would you do.?? Book doesnt say to stop driving the car, so I am assuming OK to drive carefully until I take the car in????? ----- What do you think. ????
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It is ok to drive the car using the shift override. It sounds like there is an adjustment needed between the shifter and the transmission or key lock to me. The car should be fine to drive and by no means do you have to stop driving it because you have to use the override. I expect the key issue will not happen again, it's possible the steering wheel wasn't straight when you turned the car off and this is why the key wouldn't come out without wiggling it left to right. It is ok to drive, but yes, get it in when you can.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Do you have more questions?