Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

2011 Sonota Ltd push button start is intermittent; one time

Customer Question

2011 Sonota Ltd push button start is intermittent; one time it starts fine, the next time, it tries but disengages and you hear faint starter motor whir; sometime you may have to hit the start button five or more times before it starts
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It does sound like a starter issue from here. I would first take a good look at the battery cables to make sure there isn't any corrosion on them because a bad connection can act this way as well. From here it sounds like you do have a starter issue. If it's consistent enough you could have the starter load tested, but if it's working then it will appear fine. This is one of the most difficult things out there to diagnose because when they work they look fine. Many times it has to fail completely to be 100% sure.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe it is the starter alone. When you depress the start button, it often engages and starts fine. Other times the starter motor just spins although very quietly compared to starters that I am familiar with; could it be a faulty starter solenoid?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

The solenoid is part of the starter motor on this model. The weak sound makes it seem like a possible power issue to me which is why I was suggesting making sure the cables are clean and tight.