I. Silva
I. Silva, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE tech.
46707633

Can a faulty gh pressure fuel gauge when failing over time

Customer Question

can a faulty high pressure fuel gauge when failing over time destroy and engine by having to much fuel and oil in engine and therefore making gaskets go bad and oil escape and then creating scenario where there was no oil or indicator cause the gauge failed. I can explain more in depth
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

What is exactly is the engine problem right now ,what kind of damage does it have ?

This is a new vehicle ,any faulty gage,sensor would set the engine light ON,if you run out of oil the warning light should come on before the damage.

A broken fuel gage would not damp gas or oil into the engine , even if you have excessive gas going into the engine because of the fuel system malfunction ,you would have warning signs and check engine light would come ON.

Good luck.

Let me know anything else you have.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well mechanic says i need new engine there is a knocking, I had taken car in when it was in warranty (i'm second owner so i only had 50k) explained to them there was a gas problem or lack of power while driving all of a sudden, the dealer said they couldn't figure out after 5 times of me taking it there, then my warranty passed.Since then after my last oil change which was June 1st on July 4th my car starting making noises with no light indicator when i took to mechanic he said it was the high pressure fuel gauge that led to the malfunction that then led to destroyed engine. im going to get a statement from mechanic explaining it all. basically I'm trying to have Hyundai pay for it since i tried to repair when it was in warranty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you also maybe tell me who much it should cost to repair or replace or what my options are
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

I can give you the cost of an engine and the labor to put it in but if the problem has something to do with the fuel system ,the same thing is going to happen on the new engine .

I would get the written not from your mechanic and see if you can get as much recipts as possible to show the dealer ,if you are close to 100K they should give you some kind of deal and once you complain before ,they should honor the warranty.

The other options ...the first one is a used engine that would come with everything on it(fuel system)

Good luck.

Let me know.

Please rate my answer if I have helped,ask for additional info if needed.

Thank you