George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2008 santa fee was low on fuel, put 20 dollars worth in it

Customer Question

2008 santa fee was low on fuel, put 20 dollars worth in it and left gas station, less then 1 mile later I lost all power and the car would not do much more then an idle. cold start it will idle up as it gets warm 1k rpm is max after that it lurches and dies, checked air filter. and no codes at all from the computer
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
It sounds like the fuel pump died.
Is the vehicle where you can work on it and do you have tools to check and see if you get fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on work on it, no on check fuel pressure
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Hyundai did not provide a fuel pressure check port so you have to rig up a hose that will cover the disconnected end of the fuel line at the fuel rail so you can direct the fuel to a container. Once you have that setup you energize the fuel pump with a paperclip in the pump relay and see what comes out. It should be a solid stream of fuel, if it just dribbles out you need to pull the pump.

Do you want to try this? I will pull the diagrams with the locations and how you disconnect the line then jumper the relay if you want to proceed.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Great,

Use the link here (click) to see where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. Remove the 2 10mm fasteners and cover the joint with a rag and wiggle it loose. Put the hose over the end of the line and direct it to a container.

Of course no smoking or sparks and don't do this next to your water heater or campfire.

Now find the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump check connector. You can pull the relay and connect the #30 to the #87 pin socket with a paperclip or you can put 12 volts directly to the fuel pump check connector and leave the relay alone. Now turn the key on if you used the paperclip and look to see if you have pressure.

If you don't you need a pump or you have a poor connection. You should check for 123 volts at the tank connector and if you have it pull the pump.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you