Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

I had my 2009 elantra inspected last fri aug 14 on sat a

Customer Question

i had my 2009 elantra inspected last fri aug 14 on sat a light came on book says malfunction light i went to advance auto and put a diagnosis code on there scanner of p0030 and came up as heated oxygen sensor can i buy prt pr repair myself or is this an expensive part from a dealer
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

The P0030 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the Upstream Oxygen Sensor. These are fairly common wear and tear fail items. It's located under the hood, mounted to exhaust mnifold on the front of the engine (CLICK HERE for an image view). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the sensor should solve the problem. These are readily available at most local parts stores, as like I say, common fail items. I would recommend a better quality part brand name, like Bosch. And the sensor must be a "driect fit". Lean more towards Advance Auto or NAPA and you'll be just fine. Unplug the electrical connector and unscrew the sensor from the manifold. This is definitely a job that a DIY'er can handle. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.