Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. In the park and neutral

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe. In the park and neutral position, the starter sounds like the bendix has not disengaged and it makes a loud grinding noise. When the vehicle is in drive or reverse, no problem. I've noticed that to start the car, I do not even have to turn the key all the way to the spring return position. All I have to do is get the key to the ALT position and the engine starts and the grinding begins. Am I making any sense?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

A starter that is staying engaged is going to be a faulty starter or starting circuit issue. At the starter is a large wire from the battery and a smaller signal wire. When starting this small wire should have voltage. When you let go of the key, this wire should then lose voltage. if you get that but the noise remains, then its the starter that is bad.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris