Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, Master Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician with 35 years experience
36867192

Neal I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe - It started having

Customer Question

Hi Neal
I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe - It started having intermittent starting problems a month ago. It seemed sometimes if I manipulated the steering wheel I could get it to start. Finally it wouldn't start at all so I thought it was the starter switch. I replaced the starter switch but that did not remedy the problem. So I thought it was the starter it self. One new starter later that did not fix the problem either. I switched the starter relay with an equal part in the box - no solution. Could it be the actual key cylinder? or any other thoughts?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, From what you are describing , you very likely have a faulty ignition lock cylinder or depending on how you are manipulating the steering column to get it to start there is a faint chance of a chafed wire leading to the ignition switch in the column