Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1 diagnostics, 32 years. Electrical expert
13677702

I think my e-brake cable is stuck on the left rear wheel.

Customer Question

I think my e-brake cable is stuck on the left rear wheel. the wheel is very hard to turn.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how did you discover this? smoking wheel? or something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was a grinding noise in the back. I thought it was a wheel bearing but the wheel is very hard to turn. my kids were playing in the car the other morning before we went to the sitters. so, I noticed the ebrake was on just a little. I released it but the discovered the noise.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, little hard to say if? brake caliper or brake pads OR E brake, Cant rule out brake cable but that is not very common. thre are 2 versions, Drum brakes or disc brakes,. Most are disc brakes and e brake is shoes inside the rotor separate from the disc brakes.No way to say if E brake is the problem or not. One has to remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts, slide the caliper off the rotor and see if wheel turns free, If not? then rotor is removed and then E bake shoes inspected, they could? be sticking, Cable is possible but rare on this model.I know there is/was a big problem with sticking caliper slides, so,, have to remove the caliper. look at brake pads, lube the slides and see what happens and or also remove the brake rotor and look at E brake shoes, If ALl checks out? then cable could be stuck and with rotor off, you can pry back the brake shoes and release the cable but do not use E brake till cable changed. I can only send the next steps on how to find the problem. You could have sticking caliper. sticking cable, worn E Brake shoes. I included a couple links to some pics showing caliper slide off to diagnose