Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2006 hyundai elantra and when I t a bump I get a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 hyundai elantra and when I hit a bump I get a metal on metal clunking, and repeatedly like it hasw something to do with the coil spring. first I changed the strut, it didn't go away, then I replaced the spring and a mounting kit. noise still there. it is most prevalent driving slower like in the city and hitting a bump or pot hole. The ball joint seems tight, the control arm bushing seems ok, tie rod end seems tight. I'm about 85% sure it's the strut even though I replaced it. any thoughts
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I have a feeling the noise is coming from the sway bar bushings or the sway bar links. Even if they are tight and dont move when the vehicle is up in the air with you pushing and pulling on them, that does not compare to how much weight is on them when the vehicle is on the ground and going over bumps when the vehicle is rolling. You could remove the sway bar, links and bushings all together to see if the noise goes away. If so, you know that the noise is coming from one of those components.

I hope this helps!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Oh, and another possible cause would be loose lower control arms or lower control arm bushings. This is very common as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it wasn't they sway bar. I guess I will order a lower control arm complete with ball joint and bushing. This is what I was hoping to avoid, I could have replaced everything on my own.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

At least we were able to rule out components by proccess of elimination. I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ordered the lower control arm and it should arrive in 2 to 3 days, I'll let you know how that comes out.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate a positive rating roday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem is that I am no closer to a solution then earlier today, and my earlier idea that it is the strut has bout been ruled out, it is to early for my to rate positive or negative.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Amedee