sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2002 Hyundai elantra. Installed new battery. Keys in hand.

Customer Question

2002 Hyundai elantra. Installed new battery. Keys in hand. When I hooked the cables. It starts up and running. Without the key in the ignition. What's going on
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I've had this happen on multiple vehicles in the past that had aftermarket remote starts. An aftermarket remote start, whether through a failure in the module, poor design or improper installation, can cause the engine to start on it's own when the battery is reconnected.
If you're not the original owner you may not be aware that there is a remote start on the car, there may be a module still wired in but you hadn't realized it. Are you aware of a remote start on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have a remote start.
Did you buy the car new?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought the car from my uncle. He bought it new.
You've confirmed specifically that he never had anything installed on it? Other than a remote start it would take multiple failures in multiple systems for the engine to both crank and then start. I would recommend removing the knee blocker and searching for a remote start module and wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the knee blocker located
That's the panel under the steering column in front of the driver's knees.