Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with about 61,000 miles. I

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with about 61,000 miles. I replaced the battery 9 months ago. Today, the car gave me 3 indicators of what seemed like a battery dying. At 4:00 PM, I had to turn the ignition twice to get it to start from work where I then took a*****to get my kids and then parked the car. At 4:30 PM, I again had to turn the ignition twice when I picked up the kids to bring them home, and then I parked the car in our driveway. Then at 5:00 PM when I went to take my son for his guitar lesson, the ignition wouldn't turn over ... lots of clicking but just not enough power to crank it, so I thought my battery was going. When my wife got home at 5:30 PM, we used jumper cables from her minivan to start my Sonata ... and then let the Sonata run for a good half an hour before I went to the auto store to get a new battery. The Sales Mgr at the auto store used his diagnostic tester and determined the alternator and the battery both had good power, but since we were within the battery's 2 year warranty he graciously replaced the battery with a new one. Unfortunately, the same clicking with no starting of the engine occurred even with a new battery. When we used jumper cables from his car (yes I tipped him well for his help!) to my Sonata to get it running again, we took a battery cable off and the car still ran ... showing it wasn't a faulty alternator. There are no signs of corrosion on any cables, so his next suspicion was the starter. Prior to today's start-up problems, I have seen no other forewarnings of engine problems. Suggestions?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
These symptoms point to one of three causes - loose/corroded battery ground cable where it grounds, faulty ignition switch contacts, or starter
The first step is to check where the battery negative cable grounds to the engine block for secure connection and no corrosion or either the cable end or the bolt. Clean and tighten as needed.
If ok, the starter and ignition switch both will need to be tested with voltmeter to see which is faulty
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks