Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

We have a 2003 hyundai elantra gt 2.0L, the girlfriend was

Customer Question

we have a 2003 hyundai elantra gt 2.0L, the girlfriend was driving it and says that it started to slowly lose power and then just died. Got it towed home, and so far ive been able to determine that I do hear the fuel pump in the back kicking in, I swapped the ac relay for the fuel pump relay and there was no change. Try to start the car and the motor turns over but doesnt start. Getting ready to tear into it tomorrow and start tracing down whats wrong, but am hoping that you can maybe give me a few ideas on where to start looking so that I dont waste too much time
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.
Although you hear the fuel pump energizing, it does not mean that it is actually run or produce proper flow, so we cannot rule it out.
Fuel pressure should be checked. It should be at least 49.8psi. If not, replace the pump.
If ok, then you need to check for bright blue spark at each plug.
Next, check that timing belt didnt break, shred, or skip a tooth.
Next, you will need noid lights to check for injector pulse, which if missing, means no signal from the computer.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks