Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

2005 Hyundai elantra randomly stalls. Doesn't matter the

Customer Question

2005 Hyundai elantra randomly stalls. Doesn't matter the speed. Stopped at a corner or running down the highway at 80mph. It has gotten worse so sometimes it won't even start. I've tried replacing the fuel pump but acts the same. Weirdly, if I tap on the
mass air flow sensor, it may start again and run. But if the car is running, and I disconnect the mafs the car still runs. Any ideas? Questions to help narrow it down?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In most cases if the computer is seeing a system fault such as the ones you are getting it will set and store a fault code and or codes, in order to get some idea as to what could be causing the type of problem you are having the first thing you need to do is to have the computer system scanned and see what fault codes are setting, if you can get this done and post back with the results I will try and help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The image I attached is the fault codes that I scanned. After clearing them, the P0038 is the code that comes back right away after the car stalls next.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The code P0038 is in most cases set due to a failing HO2S sensor but in most cases that would not usually cause the engine to stall. The code P0420 is in most cases caused by a failing catalytic converter. Before you do anything drive is and see if any of the other codes reset.