George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

We got my brother in laws 2003 Hyndai Sonata 6 cylinder with

Customer Question

We got my brother in laws 2003 Hyndai Sonata 6 cylinder with 29,000 miles and it started with a boost and I got a new battery. I drove it home 60 miles and it sort of was back firing the next day when I started it. We added fuel treatement and it runs good now but the check engine light is on and two service centers are looking at it. They say the computer is probably wrong as everthing with the car seems ok. They recommend a junk yard computer for 250 plus labor to pass NYS inspection for at least 1 year but no guarantee this will fix the light or that this is the problem. What do you recommend
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the computer is not wrong. I would have the codes checked at a parts store. the codes may have been from the missfiring when you first started it. before considering replacing the pcm. I would find the codes and then we can chat more to be sure you are not being mis led.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife has the codes, I will get them and let you know. In terms of what the codes were from talking with wife - I think I remember misfire on two cylinders from one store, and then something about crank case from the place we originally wanted to get the inspection from.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, neither of them indicate a failed pcm. they are addressing issues with the fuel controls.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code read misfire cylinder 3 and 4.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, that could be a plug, wire or coil failure. this would be the first step to check these items.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not familiar with this car or auto engines. They are telling me now that the computer is not showing any readings that would account for the check engine light being on at this time. He said he has driven the car and it is not backfiring or giving any problems, so he suggest to pass NYS inspection for one year we spend 450 bucks by replacing the pcm with part and labor and he does not know if that will fix the issue - but this is law in NY if you spend 450 you can go a year. He claims he is saving me money by not doing the tune up for plugs etc. and that everything else seems fine.
Henry
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like you need a new shop. the codes are basic and if I were spending money it would be on something that is needed not a guess that is wrong. I would get the tune up as it is a scheduled maintenance item and even though you have low miles, it may be the issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I think we will take the car from the shop where it is now and go to the dealer with the problem. I would think they would have the best knowledge on the car. I will let you know what happens if my $20 does not run out.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts..

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will where do I do that. I do not see a link on this page.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

it is there. it may be a smiley face or accept button for the question

Roy