George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 6 cyl. The large pulley at the bottom

Customer Question

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 6 cyl. The large pulley at the bottom of the engine -- the lowest pulley turned by the serpentine belt, squeaks intermittently. It squeaks for perhaps 10 seconds, is silent for about 10 seconds, and squeaks again for about 10 seconds.
Can you give me an idea of the likely cause of the squeak and how serious the problem might be?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, It could be the balancer portion of the crankshaft pulley (large one at the bottom) is separating at the rubber joining ring but it could be the belt as well. Try spraying some window cleaner or a little water on the belt as it is making noise, if the noise stops at once the belt and tensioner need to be replaced. If the liquid has no effect then you need to replace the pulley. Let me know what you find Thank you