George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Have Hyundai Sonata 2009. Doom Light stays on, after closing

Customer Question

Have Hyundai Sonata 2009. Doom Light stays on, after closing door or doors. Sometimes the doom light goes off when closing the door. To turn off the light I press the off switch.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent in a question (listed above) on July 13, 2015. Still no answer, What gives?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
Which door is it? (i need that, so we check the diagrams, and wiring if needed, to pinpoint the faulty component)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure which door may be causing the problem. Only two doors out of the four are used the most. The Driver and front passenger doors. The switch in the ceiling that turns off/on the doom light is working. However when turned on and the light is suppose to turn (10 to 15 seconds normal) off after door is closed works works most times and sometimes doesn't go off at all. Is there a modular or something going bad?
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
It could be a faulty module, but it most likely is a switch problem.
Could you try the doors one by one, so we pinpoint which door switch (or wiring) is causing this, so we proceed till we pinpoint the fault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened and closed all four doors. The light comes on and after 10 to 15 seconds the light goes off. I even did the drivers door and right front passenger door a second time. With the same results. This problems seems to be erratic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could also call you, but my time frame is not always the same. As I have other projects going on at same time. Also with the weekend happening, its just not working out for me, right now.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Take your time on this, and get back to me whenever you have new results.
I would wait till the dome light stays on, and then check which door was open. Try open and close it, and if that sorts the issue, we'll take it from there...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today after church and lunch, the doom light stayed on. I have isolated it to the driver door or front passenger door. I notice it stays on in the heat of the day.
Upon getting home at noon, we park the car in the garage. The doom light stayed on from the church (approximately 4 miles). Turn off the light switch. Upon reading your last request for information. I turn the doom light switch back on. Then opening and closing the driver door, the light switch goes off. Then I open and closed the passenger door and the light went out after 10 to 15 seconds. Like I said earlier this is erratic and frustrating.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Let's try one door at a time...
If the light goes off at a specific door, we'll have something to fix. I could recommend checking everything, but i like to pinpoint the fault, as it would cost much less to repair.
And by the way, was this vehicle in any kind of accident before, if yes, which side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This vehicle has not been in an accident. We are the original owners.
We opened up the drivers door, light comes on and stays on, while door is open.
We opened up the passenger door, light comes on and stays on, while door is open.
My cell phone number is: (###) ###-#### The vehicle is not available right now, as my wife has it on an errand.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Take your time sir, and get back to me with the results, of which door when opened and then closed the light stays on.
As if the light stays on while door is open, that would be perfectly normal.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,Drivers Door - opened door and then closed, the light comes on and stays on after closing door and then the light starts fading and goes off after 31 seconds.
Front Passenger Door - opened door and then closed, the light comes on and stays on after closing door and then the light starts fading and goes off after 31 seconds.
Right Rear Door - opened door and then closed, the light comes on and stays on after closing door and then the light starts fading and goes off after 31 seconds.
Left Rear Door - opened door and then closed, the light comes on and stays on after closing door and then the light starts fading and goes off after 31 seconds.
I have been doing this test with the key out of the ignition and setting in the garage.It seems the problem with the doom light is when the vehicle is out in the hot sun for awhile. Then inserting the key into ignition and driving home or somewhere else, that this problem with the doom light staying on seems to happen.Regards
Chuck...
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chuck,
In this case, the switch might be sticking, when hot...
When the problem happens, with the dome light staying on, do you have notification on the instrument panel that a door is open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Billy,No I have not noticed (in the past) of a notification on the instrument panel that a door is open.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello,In this case, it might be a circuit, or the dome light itself (when i say door, i also mean the luggage compartment or boot door).Kindly confirm this, so we proceed to the next step, of this elimination process...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Afternoon Billy;Today my wife took the Sonata for a meeting, and was parked in the sun for several hours. The doom light switch was activated (on) when she left, the light went off upon closing the driver's door. Upon return to our house and parking in the garage. After closing the door the doom light stayed on. About 30 minutes later we left to go get something to eat. The drivers & front passenger doors were use this time upon leaving. I notice the doom light was still on, going down the road. We return to our garage after the vehicle set out in the sun for another two hours. The doom light was still on. Upon parking in our garage, I check both drivers & front passenger doors to see if the doom light would go off. It didn't, so I turn off the doom light switch. Must be something with the heat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In answer to your question on July 21, 2015 @ 12:48
The luggage compartment is closed tight and no light on the dash indicating that is is open.
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Would you be able to press the switch by hand, try wiggle on it, when you have the problem (let's stay with the front doors first)? as this most likely is the switch or the wiring...Even removing the switch, or checking its connector would be a good idea at this point...