Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai Tucson SE: I have a 2006 Hyundai Tucson 4cyl, manual

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Hyundai Tucson 4cyl, manual transmission. The car is missing a "negative" to the main relay. I jumped the relay, then the car started and ran just fine. I drove for a few miles, than the start relay would not respond to the ignition switch. when I jump the start relay (next to the main relay) the car starts and runs fine. looks like I'm losing a "negative".
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and sorry for the delayAre you grounding the black/orange stripped wire on the relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just pulled the relay box open and discovered a kink in the wire going to the negative side of the coil on the main relay. (didn't check the color) The wire was most likely pinched when it was assembled. There were signs of corrosion at the kinked area. I pulled on the wire and it broke apart. I repaired the wire and the "main relay" working as intended. The problem with the "main relay" has existed for months, but the ignition relay problem just started today. Now the problem is limited to the ignition start circuit.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when this happens, do you get a click out of the start relay or no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click. The car will start with the key in the ignition and placed in the run position; when I jump out the "start relay" in the engine compartment.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok,This is probably the clutch safety switch. If it's not working then you won't get any ground to the relay.So, unplug the switch and make a jumper wire, connect it so you are bypassing the switch and see if it will crank and start for you.Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind. The second problem was a defective switch at the clutch. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, exactly what I said to you. Big surprise on my side.