Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai Sonata GLS: Randall, I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata.

Customer Question

Hi Randall, I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. When I turn the A/C on the car becomes sluggish as if strain is being placed on the motor. So I'll turn if off out of fear the car might break down. Most recent my engine light is on and my car want stay crank it keeps cutting off. There is a burnt smell coming from the car. This is a second car that is driven only several times a year. The car hasn't been serviced in three years. The oil appears to be fine. Not sure whats going on. I need help!! Thanks
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you happen to know what codes are being stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, can you please tell me where the codes are stored and I will sure to get that answer back to you shortly.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Well, when the check engine light is on, it means there are codes stored in the cars computer. Problem is you need a code reader to get them out of the computer. If it's possible for you to do, they start with a P, for example P0420I believe you may have a couple different things happening here, but the codes might point us in the right direction as far as the car stalling out on you. If you can get these please let me know, if not, that is fine I will try to help you without them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the car keeps shutting off. At this point, it want make it to a mechanic in this condition to have a diagnostic reading unless I have it towed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, lets try this. if you open the hood you can see the air filter box. Open it and make sure nothing has destroyed the air filter. If the air filter and box look good, there is a sensor on the air tube to the throttle body. Try unplugging this sensor and see if the car will start and run.Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The air filter looks dry. There is some debris and dried leaves in the box. I unplugged the sensor on the air tube. The engine check light went off. I took the car for a spin around the block and it took off rived up. There was a noise that sounded umhum and slushing sound. So sorry this is the best description I can give. Any suggestions to where to go from here for as repairs. Thanks so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it sounds like there might be an issue with the mass air flow sensor. Now, we can test this by plugging it back in and then seeing if the problems come back or not. From here, it sounds like you will need to replace the mass air flow to solve the running issue.Let me know.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Do you need further assistance with this?