jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Hyundai Elantra: No water circulating through radiator. water

Customer Question

No water circulating through radiator. water pump or thermostat?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, even though the thermostat was replaced last year ,it can be failing again .I would remove the thermostat and place it in a pan and bring it to boiling or close to boiling .if the thermostat opens ,then suspect the water pump.normally the water pump will make noises or leak. you can also, run the vehicle with out the stat in and see if the coolant is circulating .to get all the air out of the cooling system fill the radiator with coolant to the bottom of the fill hole replace the cap , then start it up and let it run about 5 minutes or so ,then shut it off and let it sit for 5-10 minutes ,when you feel no pressure in the upper hose ,remove the cap and wait a few minutes ,the level should drop a little,then top it off ,put on the cap again and repeat this process until the coolant level stays near the top of the radiator .if the thermostat doesn't open then replace that ,follow the purging of air in the cooling system as I posted .in rare cases the head gasket or cracked head may cause the car to over heat ,the way to tell is fill the coolant and let it run with the cap off and see if there is air bubbles in the radiator in the coolant .another way is to do a block /cooling system block test . You can rent the block test kit at many auto parts stores ,you have to buy the special blue liquid for the tester . if the liquid in the tester tube (you are only pulling gases from the cooling system ) turns from the blue color to a lt green or lt brownish color then that indicates a bad head gasket or crack in the cooling system.usually it is the stat first ,but test the stat as I posted and look for air bubbles after purging the cooling system ..the cooling fan may not appear to work right if there is air in the system as the air may become trapped where the coolant sensor is and the fan circuit cant work on air it needs to be in liquid ....jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, I am just checking back to see if I helped you or if you need assistance still .
If I helped you please let me know so I can send you a post to rate me on with a positive smiley face thank you ..jazzmaster