George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra.. I'm having issues

Customer Question

Hello.. I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra.. I'm having issues with the brakes. I've had to replace the master cylinder 3x in less than 20,000 miles. I've had a complete brake job, and I have to have the lines bled seems like every 2 months. What could be causing this? Hyundai cannot give me an answer and our mechanic is stumped, he has looked at everything. It scares me that my 17 y/o is driving it and having to go to the floor to stop the car.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car only only 63,000 miles
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.The failure of 3 master cylinders is most likely impossible to happen in 20K.I would take the four brakes apart and make sure the caliper sliding pins are free and well lubed and also the pads are free on the caliper brackets.If nothing wrong found you will need to check the brake rubber hoses ,using the right pliers ,collapse one hose at the time to see if pedal improves .Make sure the brake fluid is contaminated and ruining your hydraulic brake system.(hoses,calipers and master cylinder) Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
I mean ...make sure the brake fluid is not contaminated or it will ruin the hydraulic brake system.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not impossible, but it has. I have all receipts to prove 3 master cylinders. Our local Hyundai dealer replaced it 2x and they had a Hyundai expert come from the home office to look at it. I'll give your answer to our mechanic and see what happens.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Well, in my opinion your brake system is getting air somewhere, that is why the pedal is going down to the floor, when they replace the master cylinder , the also bleed the system and get the air out...to me, it is possible that you would get your brakes back for awhile just getting the air out of the system without replacing the new master cylinder again , unless ,like I said before your brake fluid is contaminated.(also not common after bleeding the system so many times)Good luck.Let me know what they say.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do get the brakes back for a while after the lines are bled, and I do believe air is getting from somewhere. The question is where? Thank you
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Like I said ...brake hoses falling apart from inside ,seized caliper sliding pins , poor brake lining installation or even a poor performance/vacuum from/to the brake booster are the first things to check.Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I showed my mechanic the list of things you suggested could be the problem. He's done all of these things and these are not the cause.When the lines are bled, the air comes from the Left Front and Right Rear only... No fluid leaks.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi .
Is this a problem that started one day to the next, or after a brake repair was done ??
Rgds Greg