George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

My 2007 elantra stopped on expressway while overheating now

Customer Question

my 2007 elantra stopped on expressway while overheating now it wont start.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.When you turn the key to start the engine ,does the engine turn faster ?Is the oil level and coolant level ok ?As the first step I would take a compression test on all the cylinders ,you may have warp the cylinder head when you over heated the engine and now the engine has no compression to start. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine cranks normal. I have sparks in all plugs. Oil and coolant at correct level. How do you do compression test? Free spinning from belts too.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
HI there ... you will need a compression test gage to do so.Remove all the spark plugs and screw the hose into the spark plug hole and then ,with gas pedal down to the floor crank the engine 3 or 4 turns ,take note of the gage readings , repeat for each cylinder and compare readings.Anything showing less than 100 psi it is a problem.Also ,I would scan the engine for trouble codes ,there are sensors that can melt with the heat and give you the no start situation. Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, will do
Thanks
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Let me know.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a timing belt jump timing and still be tight on pulley and still spin?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
HI there...for a timing belt to jump ,it has to be loose to have a good slack ,other wise it would take a few teeth off of the belt.If you scan the engine computer it will show a trouble code for crank and cam correlation ,in case of the belt jump.Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.