George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Sonata: I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl GLS. Periodically,

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl GLS. Periodically, after the car is driven and shut-off, it will not restart. It is a key type ignition, not a button. All the accessories work but the starter does not even try, like a relay has opened. It usually happens on hot day (close to100 degrees F). If I open the hood and wait 156 - 30 minutes, it restarts.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.
Hello.welcome and thank you for using justanswer. The starter motor is a very common problem on this vehicles , I would check for power at the small terminal at the starter solenoid ...just have someone holding the key on the starting position and at same time you check that terminal ,if there is power to the solenoid on the small terminal ,replace the starter motor.You will need a test light or a multimeter to check for power. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.