George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Sonata GL: Hey how's it going, I was driving a few

Customer Question

Hey how's it going, I was driving a few days ago and all of a sudden my 2002 Hyundai Sonata Manual car's clutch pedal sank to the floor. I pulled it back up and it wound't go down after that. Upon further inspection I noticed the clutch master cylinder was leaking where it attaches to the clutch pedal. I ordered the slave cylinder and the master clutch cylinder and they came yesterday. Today I installed both, bled the hydraulic system and put everything back together and the clutch pedal still does not go down. When I manually pump the slave cylinder or open the bleeder valve I can push the clutch pedal again but when I close the slave bleeder valve and I press the clutch pedal a few times it gets hard again and I can't press it down anymore. Thank you
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
The problem is internal to the clutch so the pressure plate, throw out bearing and the clutch disc will need to be replaced You probably have a ball of Kevlar holding the plate off the flywheel.
Please let me know how i can help you with your questions
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick response, What did you mean by ' a ball of kevlar holding off the flywheel'. Is there anyway I can temporary fix it so I can take it to the mechanic? How will replacing those things fix a hard clutch pedal?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The face of the clutch friction disc is covered with Kevlar and binder to provide the link between the engine and the transmission. When the binder fails the Kevlar will ball up and allow the flywheel to spin without turning the transmission and when you step on the pedal provide a solid surface to hold it from moving. Please let me know how i can help Thank you''