Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai Sonata: 1993 Hyundai, Sonata, has fuel pressure, cranks

Customer Question

1993 Hyundai, Sonata, has fuel pressure, cranks over good, no spark. Need to know how to test and locate ignition components? 2.0 l engine. Thanks.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you have power at the coil with the key on?Black/white stripe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not known, wiring to coil seems to be behind coil pack and enclosed in intake manifold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage found at mass air flow sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is connector for coil located?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, not showing the maf on the wiring diagram...Ok, is the check engine light coming on when you turn the key on?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Can't be sure, I am looking at the wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to look, for check engine light, forgot.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light coming on, does not seem to have a check engine light or at least not a working one. Looked at instrument cluster with trouble light can see low fuel, seat belt, etc. light even if they aren't on, couldn't see a spot for a check engine light.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I was showing one on the diagram.Need to have you check the fusible links under the hood.These are the old style wires, both are pink. Pull on them and make sure they are solid, after that, we need to check the ecm relay, it looks like it's over in the passenger side kick panel.We have to check and make sure it's getting power when you turn the key on.Check it out and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found connector for coil, it does have power. Has large fuses, referred to as fusible links (on fuse box cover) several in fuse box and 2 more on pos. battery cable, all good. Can't find any old style fusible links.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked relay in passenger kick panel, has one wire live when key of, relay unplugged. (wh/bla), one more live with key on, relay unplugged (bla/wh). One more live with key on, relay plugged in, (wh/red). Removed cover and one coil doesn't pull in, other does when cranking.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I am not showing another coil that should pull in when you crank oddly enough, but I do show that you should also have power on a black/red stripped wire.The other wires do sound like they are doing what they should and if you have power to the coil then it's working.Now I am showing the crank sensor should have voltage on the red wire, you are not getting this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know about the crank sensor, the timing unit or sensor whatever mounted on the back end of one camshaft didn't have power with key on. Will be away from the computer for a while. Sorry.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it looks like the ecu control relay is the problem. The wiring diagrams are vague on this, but, I now see the second part of the relay that you said isn't pulling in. This is the power for our cam/crank position sensor. You should have power on the red wire, if you don't, then the relay isn't providing the voltage. I would try replacing this relay first. If the relay doesn't solve the issue it could be a broken wire to the relay or the inhibitor switch on the transmission causing the problem, if it's an automatic.Let me know when you can