Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Hyundai Elantra: My 07 Hyundai Elantra throw the main belt

Customer Question

My 07 Hyundai Elantra throw the main belt I replaced it the car tries to turn over but will not start. Is there a safety. switch that needs to be reset?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Is it the timing belt that runs the camshafts and crankshaft that broke or the serpentine belt that runs the alternator, ac, power steering that broke?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serpentine belt. Alt,Ac power stering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serpentine belt
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, a simple serpentine belt breakage and then replacing the belt will not cause the engine not to start. And there is no reset switch of any type.
If the belt shredded, there is the possibilty or the broken belt breaking or tearing the cam sensor wiring or parts of the belt getting behind the timing cover and causing the timing belt to jump.
To the upper left when facing the serpentine belt, near the upper timing cover is the cam sensor wiring harness and connector. Check for broken/torn wiring or connector and repair as needed.
If ok, then we will need to check for spark, fuel, compression and you will need a spark tester, fuel pressure gage, and engine cylinder compression gage for this
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks