SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 14 years experience
10552493

Hyundai Sante Fe: While adding Freon to a 2003 Hyundai Sante

Customer Question

While adding Freon to a 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe, Freon blew out on the other side of the engine from the compressor and ac fittings. It was like a high pressure release. Where did it come from.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Do you have any idea of how much refrigerant is in this system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gauge on the on the hose attached to the Freon can showed in the green/desired range. I don't know how many pounds of Freon that represents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It released Freon twice, but I never heard it do it again.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
That is the problem with the parts store cans, you never really know where you are at.
I know you will not like this but unless you can empty the system and vacuum it down to 29 in hg for thirty minutes I don't think you will get this working again so I will OPT OUT and hope another expert will have a plan for you
Sorry I could not help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its still working. I'm just wondering for how long. Not sure where the Freon came from.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
There is a pop off valve on the a/c compressor.When the pressure gets too high from the system being over charged it releases some pressure the prevent damage to the a/c system.