Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

Hyundai Sante Fe: I have a 2006 Hyundai Sante Fe Limited.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sante Fe Limited. The balance wheel thingy broke and I had it repaired at a local repair shop. After it was repaired (not before) the little yellow light with a picture of an engine came on. I when back to repair shop and asked about it. They kept it another day and half, but could not find out why it was on, however they said that it was safe to drive and not to worry about it.
Do you have any clue what is going on with at light on my dash?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.
When the Check Engine light comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are literally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. However, if you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) system. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running can set the light. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. Check the top of the fuel filler neck for any signs of damage or debris. Check under the vehicle, around the rear areas of the vehicle, looking for any vacuum lines that have dry-rot cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If these all check out, then the best thing to do at this point is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "p-codes") read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor, in which system, has the fault. There isn't a Mechanic on the planet that can tell you what is wrong with the vehicle just by "looking" at the Engine Light. Every single Mechanic's first course of action WILL be to obtain the p-codes. It's standard diagnostic procedure. Once you get these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then make the correct repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.