George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 3.3L engine. Trying to change fuel

Customer Question

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 3.3L engine. Trying to change fuel level sensors. Have taken out seats, lifted access covers of both sides, disconnected fuel line, started engine and ran til it died (about a minute or less, disconnected electrical connections, disconnected
negative side of battery. Can't get the plate covers to move. How do I get them off?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Did you get the fuel pump lock ring removal tools? I think Autozone has a set in the their loan a tool set. The trick is that you put pressure on both sides of the lock ring at the same time and you depress the lock tab to allow the ring to turn. Takes three hands so the tool hooks over the lock ring and you use a ratchet to turn it from a center location.
If you tap side to side with a brass punch and hold the locking tab on the lock ring then you can work this loose but it is hard on the plastic tank.
Let me know how I can help you with your question
Tank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the locking tab?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you look at the locking ring you will see the lock tab that keeps it from turning, if you don't have on the plastic against the indentations on the bottom of the ring are what keeps it from turning out on its own.
Please let me know how I can help you with your question
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You lost me with the following: "if you don't have on the plastic against the indentations on the bottom of the ring are what keeps it from turning out on its own"The attached picture is take from the passenger-side rear door. It shows the passenger-side lock ring. At about 12 o'clock on the ring is a white rectangle with rounded corners. Is this the lock tab?I have tried depressing it with a screwdriver. It moves a tiny bit, about a millimeter, which doesn't seem to be enough to release the ring.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I can't see from that picture and this video does not show the moment you want to see but it is close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMBkQs17MmM
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab.
The lock piece is what you can see holding the ring from turning.
On this ring I think it is the barrel shaped indentations lining up with the depressions in the plastic of the tank but I can't see it closely enough to tell which it is.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found this video earlier and used it to get as far as the lock ring. You are right, it doesn't show how to remove the ring. When I figured that out, I turned to you. But I am still stuck, and now I'm confused.
I asked that my question go to a Hyundai mechanic, assuming one would know the Santa Fe well or have access to manuals.
If you are unable to give me better
Instructions as to how to remove the lock ring, please don't charge my card.