sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Hyundai Sonata GL: I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata where the doors

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata where the doors automatically lock sometimes when I close the driver door. I've tried removing the lock and unlock relays, but the problem persists. What could be the problem?
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've also been able to replicated the locking when the door is closed and I bang on the area above the inside door handle, the locks sometimes engage. I think there may be something wrong the the actual driver door lock.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It's possible you could have a wiring issue or bad power lock switch but if the doors are still able to lock with the lock relay out then I would first suspect there is an aftermarket alarm on it. Many aftermarket alarms are set up to lock the doors automatically with no input from the driver. It's possible that you have an aftermarket alarm on it without realizing it if you didn't buy the vehicle new, and now it's causing this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. You're correct, we did not buy the car new. How can I diagnose and repair this?
I would search for an aftermarket alarm system. Systems all differ a bit and it depends on the preference of the installer but there should be a module somewhere under the dash on the driver's side. There will be wiring to the ignition switch and fuse box at least. If an aftermarket alarm module can be located then it and all it's wiring will need to be removed and all connections returned to factory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I may come back to that later, but how can I try to diagnose the bad power lock switch. It seems to be something in the driver door that's loose or faulty.
You could try unplugging the lock switch and see if the problem goes away, otherwise it would require electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to see if the switch is sending a signal when not intended.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So take the door panel off and find the lock switch and disconnect it? What am I looking for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And is the lock switch above the door handle bc that's where I hit and the doors lock (or when I close it).
The lock switch is the button on the door you press to lock and unlock the doors. You would unplug it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After I remove the door panel (is it just the screws?), I disconnect the wire harness for the locks? Will I be able to see it or is it behind the plastic? If it's behind the plastic, do I cut it or remove it? How would I reseal it afterwards?
There are screws in the handle area and behind the panel in the rear view mirror area and the rest of the door panel is held in with push in clips, you'll need to go around the panel with something like a door panel clip tool to pop them loose. Once the panel is off you would unplug the lock switch, nothing would be cut. THe connector location on the back of the switch would be obvious.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probably an obvious question. Assuming disconnecting the lock switch resolves the issue, would the lock switch need to be replaced?
Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way for me to disconnect and remove the switch without removing the door panel?
No.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Disconnected the power switch control and the problem persists. It seems to be with the actual lock near the door handle. Where do those rods lead to, particularly the rod associated with the lock?
The rods go from the handle to the latch.