George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 T limited: I have Hyundai Santa Fe 2013

Customer Question

I have Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 2.0T with 20,000 km. I had notice that with sharp turning in slow motion with the break there is crunching or grinding (clicking sound) coming from the front of the car. I have also noticed that with complete stop for a sign traffic there is a sound coming from the back of the car like if there is fluid movement. Moreover, there is clicking sound coming from inside the steering wheel when I sharply turn it to the right and release it.
I took it to the dealership 5 times and they said we couldn't find any thing wrong in your car. Recently, the clicking grinding sound is become more prominent with any sharp turning to the right or the left with using the break. I took it today to a local friend mechanics who drove the car in a parking spot. He heard that strange sound and said it might be dried joint in your front wheels. He took the car to his garage and upon inspection he found out that the lower control arm pushing is not constant and keeps moving when the gear was on P and his partner was rolling the car backward and forward. He said he is not sure if this is normal in these types of cars, but he was sure that the lower control arm bushing doesnot support to keep moving with rolling the car.
I am wondering, if you can help me with that by give specific reason for why a new car does make that clicking and grinding sound. The other question is that is it safe to drive the car for a week before I get it next week to the dealership in another city that is 400 km away from my city?
I get sick of this car. I am really disappointed and frustrated.
Thank you so much
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - Hyundai tech. It sounds to me the axle is defective.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The front suspension such as front strut and the lower control arm must be inspect to see if is OK.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
A fairly new vehicle should not hear clicking noise while turning.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
4 things need to be check out. CV axle, struts, control arm and the front brake.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The inspection and repair can be wait until next week.The dealer will cover the work as warranty.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.