Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Hyundai Santa Fe Limited: Daniel, I have a 2012 Hyundai

Customer Question

Hi Daniel, I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. It is making a thumping sound in the rear. It happens when starting from a stop sign but sometimes it happened when driving along at 50-60 km/h. It is usually one thump but can sometimes be continuous like you might have a flat tire. Occasionally the thump is so loud Ive checked to see if someone had hit me from behind.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 31,000 KMs on it.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Chris, I still need help. I am 400 miles from the nearest Hyundai dealership so I appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.
It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I can't read minds nor have a magic wand, & I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am.
You need to find a way to duplicate this barely moving or over a specific bump or by rocking or bouncing the vehicle. Diagnosing a noise concern where someone can be outside the vehicle to possibly pinpoint the origin makes it easier. Also being able to retest it to make sure you found the cause and fixed it would be beneficial.
Based on your description I do not feel like its a spinning component and more likely to be a suspension joint damaged. Can you also check the suspension connections to the body like the struts and control arms.
There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.
Thanks Chris