internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years in the Import Auto industry. Engineering background and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

Hyundai Veracruz: I replaced the battery in my 2009 Hyundai

I replaced the battery in my 2009 Hyundai Veracruz today and am not comfortable with the way the positive terminal connects. The terminal has a plastic platform with multiple connections around it. When I tighten the terminal on the post it does not snug up as tightly as I think it should. There remains a slight amount of play even after turning the clamp tightly down.

internal88 :

Hello, I'm Brandon.

internal88 :

Yes, over time the terminal will get loose from the battery post terminal. The battery terminal must be snug tight on the battery post.

internal88 :

Many times aftermarket battery post diameter is little bit smaller than the factory battery.

internal88 :

This is why you will need to replace a fitted battery cable terminal.

internal88 :

A fitted battery terminal should be use.

internal88 :

When you are changing the terminal make sure the negative terminal is covered by a clean rag so you won't mistakely short circuit.

internal88 :

Please let me know if I can help you further. I will be online until 11 PM.

internal88 :

I'm going to change it to Q&A mode.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brandon, The terminal on this vehicle is more complicated than a simple clamp terminal you referenced. The terminal is an assembly mounted on a flat plastic plate approximately 4"X5" with 3 (or 4) leads joined together across the top of the plate with the hole and clamp that slips on the battery post just off center through the plate.

Ok, you have this kind of battery post. I will have to get you a replacement part number at work. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Or if is an emergency you can put a small piece of soft aluminum wrap around the post and tighten with the battery clamp.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, but that is not the one. It overlaps the side of the battery with connections on the left and rear of the plate that come up alongside the battery. The complete assembly slips down onto the battery post.

That was the wrong picture. The below should be the correct picture.
You have two choices. 1. replace it with the factory terminal (I could get the number for you). 2. Put a ring spacer between the battery post and the clamp that will increase the diameter of the post.
graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The ring spacer is the way I'd like to go. Is that something I can find at Auto Zone?

I agree going with the spacer. Less work and headache.
I doubt Autozone will have the spacer for the battery post. You might want to look at the Dorman HELP section at autozone.
Your best bet - is to go to hardware store and buy yourself a thin alumium piping or cooper. I like aluminum better. But both will work.
I use this trick all the time and it works like a charm.Click on the below link for picture.
http://i.imgur.com/fnzNA8I.jpg